Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Screwtape Letters

This past week I have been reading C.S. Lewis’s book, The Screwtape Letters as one of my summer projects and let me tell ya, this book is a thinker!

  It is about a devil writing to his little nephew devil giving his devious advice on how to bring his ‘patient’ to hell.  One part I read recently made me really start to think.  It is soo interesting.  The uncle devil is scolding his nephew for being so careless and letting his patient go out on a walk to an old mill, a walk which the man really enjoys.  In frustration the uncle tells the nephew to… “always make the patient abandon the people or food or books he really likes in favor of the best people, the right food, or the important books.”  You have to remember to put everything in opposites when reading this book because when he talks about evilness and corruption he is referring to truth and light (obviously because he is a devil!)  This is another part that hit me.  The uncle devil proudly described  one of his own patients said on his arrival to hell that, “I now see that I spent most of my life in doing neither what I ought nor what I liked.”  The point of all of this is, Heavenly Father wants us to do positive things that we enjoy!  Wow!! Men are that they might have joy!! Never did it say men are that they might have shopping lists, errands, or guilt trips.  (Although at times we can't avoid them haha)  We shouldn’t worry so much about what is popular, but what are things we truly enjoy doing in life!  And then the trick is to do more of them!!!  This is my goal for the summer to stop and enjoy every part of life and really let myself live!!   

1 comment:

  1. I just finished this book! Yea, it was confusing at first for me to remember about the whole "opposite" for good/evil, but I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...